Thursday, September 21, 2006


Indian River Inlet Delaware.






The weather has been choice lately, sunny with little to no humidity, I had a fun solo road ride through Pretty Boy resavoir on the QuickBeam last Sunday. It was beautiful here in the north county.
Then a ride at the Lower Loch with Sieverts that was a blast, the trails were wet but not muddy or slow, and I hadn't been their since early or maybe mid summer, this spring was excellent for m.t.b.ing around here and I rode the lower quite a bit, I even did a couple tour de raven's.We had a strong storm I think it was the end of July and it blew a bunch of trees down, I had heard the trails were wasted and it'll never be the same talk, but not suprisingly the re-routs are super fun and creative, it's as good and better than before, not that a whole lot has changed anyway.

Over the summer I worked on a chair design that I had been thinking about for a couple of years, I made two, one with a poplar seat that doesn't really need stretchers(the things that tie the legs together under the seat) because poplar is strong and resilient enough to withstand racking streses that are common to a chair and one with a pine seat that needs stretchers because pine is not as resilient. All of the wood except the poplar is from logs that were given to me and milled into boards or split right out of the log.
The back spindles and leg assemblies are red oak and the crest and arm rest are cherry. The shape of the seat is my take on the shape of a poplar leaf and the arm rest are taken from a child's rocking chair I had as a kid, kind of a torpedo shape, their suprisingly comfy and the crest I don't think is final I feel I should change it some how but it's basically what I was going for, a swooping arch that cradles the chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home