Friday, May 19, 2006

A Nice Catalpa Tree Salad Bowl


Mr. John, one of the people that taught me about the woody plants, and timeless techniques of green woodworking, said when he was growing up in Bolton Hill (Baltimore) the bums would live in the Catalpa trees in Druid Hill park,the trees were so old and huge that they rotted out in the center and you could crawl inside and be able to stand up.
I always liked these trees, they have big leaves and in a week or two should have white flowers and crazy been pods, I read somewhere that they are from the dinosaur era, I guess they thrived then and were probably bigger too, so anyway, I ain't no cave man! But I like the way this stuff shines iridescence and it is super light, it looks like a heavy bowl but its really light and strong.
This is a wedding present for some friends, the date on the bottom is their wedding day and I finished it and we delivered it the other day. You have a year right ? On wedding gifts?

My friend is an Arborist and removed this tree fom a yard in Balto county and I grabed a log section like 18" long, split it in half and hand hewed it to shape.

1 Comments:

Blogger gwadzilla said...

nice wood working

9:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home