Thursday, April 27, 2006

Walnut & Apple logs


I picked up a Walnut and Apple tree log in mid April, both blew down in storms within the last year.
The Walnut came from my wife's grandmothers house near Sparks and the Apple came from her parents in the Bently Springs Maryland area. I was able to load the Walnut (log on left) by myself with the cant hook, it's laying there in between the logs, by lifting and rolling one end onto a pile of tree limbs until it was at tail gate level then rolling and pushing it in, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Then off to get the Apple, I drove to A's parents house, Janon got in and we drove back through the pasture to the woods line and their it was, a really nice specimen of apple trunk. Apple usually has lots of suckers and knots along with major woodpecker holes, that make for not very user friendly wood. The thing was soaking wet ,naturally wet, significantly heavier than the Walnut. We both got it in using the cant hook, we couldn't have with out it.

So I took them out to Bob's Portable Saw Mill in Churchville, I took some stuff to him last summer and found he's a good guy that knows what he's doing, and he'll cut it how I want.
I really like going to the mill, it reminds me of when I was little and would go to the dump, so many cool things to see and find.
I went home and sticker'd (stacked ) it in the order it was sawn and sealed the ends so it doesn't dry out to fast and check (crack).
I have an idea of what I want to do with this wood and more things will become of it as time goes, the apple I might have trouble drying ,it is so wet and not being straight grained, it will have a tendency to crack and twist. I should get a lot of use out of the walnut. Both logs are a little over five feet long and thirteen inches in diameter. I had them squared up and milled to 2 1/4" thick.
Fun stuff !

1 Comments:

Blogger gwadzilla said...

very cool

I often hike with my dogs
and can not help but notice the "berl"
spelling?
on the trees
a friend of mine works in wood
and he loves the burled wood for his pieces

9:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home