Monday, May 02, 2005

The Good and Bad

Saturday night at three forty five am the phone rang,as the answering machine picked up and started recording A-Fish was on her way to see who it was.I didn't recognize the voice,but I did hear "flown to shock trauma" immediately I shot up and said Who?!!! A said Layton, she was on the phone by now with Laytons Girl friend Laurie who said he was working in Havre-De-Grace, he works a friends restaurant some weekends .Saturday rained quite a bit and by that hour of night it was wet, foggy, and low visibility.He remembers driving, but not going off the road,apparently went into a ditch, up a bank only to roll back down it. I know Layton can drive and details are vauge any number of senarios could have played out. He was able to get out, walk up to a house ,nock on the door and they let him use the phone,It sounds like he was covered in blood at that point,God bless those people for answering the door. He called nine eleven then called his girl , I think it was better getting it from him than the paramedic.She called us to get good directions to University of Maryland,since A-Fish collects a check from there,she's a good one to ask.He came home that day with like eight staples in his head and a lot of stiches on his hand and some broken fingers.
I have been riding with Layton quite a bit lately and he's one of the strongest riders and definatly toughest guys I know, I am stoked that he didn't get hurt worse and I wish him a healthy and speedy recovery.
The Good,
Sunday Tim,Todd and I went to Rocky Ridge state part in P.A ,its just north east of York proper, about fortyfive mins from here.Man it was Fun, totally dry fast as hell and kind of technical, a beautiful day to boot.
There were two crushing climbs but the rest was mostly single track with some longish gradual climbs, fast rolling sections and some sweet down hill, the elevation change is similar to Lake Red man if you have ever been there,but more fun,more technically challenging than Red Man. And it's cool because the trail is wider than it appears. With so many rocks it appears as their is a dedicated line but it's really two that kind of grape vine or figure eight across themselves, thats how I see it any way ,there are more lines if your srtong enough to take them, and the look outs are super nice.Tim was riding his newly acquired 29er s.s and T.G and I were on our home made singles speeds. I am ready to go back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home